[File] file/libmagic bug tracker problem

Sergey Ponomarev stokito at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:49:50 UTC 2019

Hi,

I wanted to file a bug but bugtracker http://bugs.gw.com/ is down and the
https://mailman.astron.com/pipermail/file/ works. BTW is this the same
email lists?
Please check the website.
Also since I already wrote to you then I want you to know that developers
like me have some pain:

1. It's hard to find official source code of the file utility. The google
search "libmagic" shown some unofficial
https://github.com/threatstack/libmagic with some outdated version. And you
may see that there is actually some developers even sent pull requests.

2. On the official GitHub repo the same situation: there is more that 50
pull requests that was rejected
https://github.com/file/file/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed
Personally speaking for me it would be much easier to send PR on GitHub and
I have no idea what is a reason why development wasn't moved yet from CVS
to github.

3. I tried to build but usual `./configure; make install` doesn't worked
because the ./configure script was missed. Only after checking the
.travis.yml file I found that I should execute `autoreconf -f -i` first.
Can you please refer this in README or INSTALL documentation?

4. Actually I was interested in libmagic but I just figured it out that
file repository contents the libmagic and builds it. This is note clearly
stated in README:

$ cat README | grep libmagic
itself, libmagic can be used by 3rd party programs that wish to identify
src/magic.c - the libmagic api

I runned make install and checked it's logs to be sure that libmagic was
copied and only then I sigh with relief.

So could you write in the caption of README that this is both file and
libmagic?

Regards,
Sergey Ponomarev