[File] Regression in 5.38: ELF mis-detection als "statically"

Christoph Biedl astron.com.bwoj at manchmal.in-ulm.de
Sun Apr 26 15:43:39 UTC 2020

Hello,

seems I never forwarded Debian bug report #948269[1]:

The commit

| Subject: PR/93: iaeiaeiaeiae: Do as the comment says, and count as dynamically linked (...)
| Origin: FILE5_37-59-g24c9c086 <https://github.com/file/file/commit/FILE5_37-59-g24c9c086>

caused quite some havoc in the Debian build infrastructure since ELF
files were identified as "statically linked," although they are not,
subsequently exempting them from procedures specific for shared libriaries.

As a quick solution I had reverted that, still this needs a revisit.

Regards,

    Christoph

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/948269