[File] release tar ball/git disparity

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Thu Aug 26 10:43:27 UTC 2021

Thanks for doing that! I fixed some of them.
Inline...

christos

> On Aug 26, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Christoph Biedl <astron.com.bwoj at manchmal.in-ulm.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> when applying some patches I noticed differences between the release tar
> ball (5.40) and the releated git commit (FILE5_40). In the lists below,
> the lined marked with "*" are autoconf-related or seem otherwise prudent to
> omit. About everything else, are they just missing (or superfluous)
> in EXTRA_DIST in the respective Makefile.am?
>

> In tar ball, not in git
> =======================
>
> *   Makefile.in
> *   aclocal.m4
> *   compile
> *   config.guess
> *   config.h.in
> *   config.sub
> *   configure
> *   depcomp
> *   doc/Makefile.in
> *   install-sh
> *   ltmain.sh
> *   m4/libtool.m4
> *   m4/ltoptions.m4
> *   m4/ltsugar.m4
> *   m4/ltversion.m4
> *   m4/lt~obsolete.m4
> *   magic/Makefile.in
> *   missing
> *   python/Makefile.in
>    python/README               Cruft?
> *   src/Makefile.in
> *   tests/Makefile.in

Yes, the python/README is cruft. I don't see it when I run make distcheck in the head of the tree.
The rest are generated files. I think it is better to include them in the tar file so that builders don't
need to bother with autoconf, but they should not be committed (since they can be easily generated).

> In git, not in tar ball
> =======================
>
> *   README.DEVELOPER
> *   RELEASE-PROCEDURE
I have added them

> *   doc/.cosigner
.cvsignore files are not really useful.

>    fuzz/Dockerfile             Or fuzz/ is not to be included at all
>    fuzz/build.sh
>    fuzz/magic_fuzzer.c
>    fuzz/project.yaml
Skipped for now.

> *   m4/.cvsignore
> *   magic/.cvsignore
>    magic/Magdir/alpha          Should have been removed in "remove alpha" in 2011?
Removed from git

>    magic/Magdir/etf            Not referenced at all?
As the comment in the file says, the erlang magic is too weak and not included by default.

>    magic/Magdir/rinex          Should have been removed in "PR/364: Add GRIB data" in 2014?
Removed from git

>    magic/scripts/create_filemagic_flac
Added

> *   python/.cvsignore

>    python/file_magic/__init__.py
Added

> *   src/.cvsignore

>    src/BNF
Added

> *   src/Makefile.std
Removed from git

>    src/cdf.mk
>    src/memtest.c
Added

>    src/teststrchr.c
Removed from git

> *   tests/.cvsignore

>    tests/android-vdex-1.result
>    tests/android-vdex-1.testfile
>    tests/android-vdex-2.result
>    tests/android-vdex-2.testfile
>    tests/cl8m8ocofedso.result
>    tests/cl8m8ocofedso.testfile
>    tests/matilde.arm.result
>    tests/matilde.arm.testfile
>    tests/pcjr.result
>    tests/pcjr.testfile
Added

>    tests/pgp-binary-key-v4-ecc-rev.result
>    tests/pgp-binary-key-v4-rsa-no-userid-rev.result
Not added, no test files?

> *   visibility.m4
Added

christos