[File] Error running file 5-40

Matthew Czarnek matthew.czarnek at verizonmedia.com
Thu May 27 16:23:37 UTC 2021

Thank you again to Christos and Guy for helping me determine that my
version of "file" is very out of date and the newest version would probably
fix my problem.

I'm now trying to compile file 5-40 from source and run it and it's
throwing an error message:

./file/bin/file _samples/magic8

./file/bin/file: symbol lookup error: ./file/bin/file: undefined symbol:
magic_version

Would you know how to solve this?

Thanks,
Matt

Steps I used to build this and install to separate location so I don't
overwrite the already installed file command:
Download file 5-40

./configure --prefix=<path>/file/
make
make install

run using:

./file/bin/file _samples/magic8

./file/bin/file: symbol lookup error: ./file/bin/file: undefined symbol:
magic_version

I've tried a couple others too, such as:

./file file

./file: symbol lookup error: ./file: undefined symbol: magic_version