[File] Regression in pgp mime type detection

Christoph Biedl astron.com.bwoj at manchmal.in-ulm.de
Tue Dec 6 20:00:41 UTC 2022

Christoph Biedl wrote...

[ garbage ]

Sorry, let me try again.

Debian bug report #1022565: https://bugs.debian.org/1022565

There is a regression in the mime type detection of (some?) keyring
files, file(1) now returns "application/octet-stream" instead of
"application/pgp-keys".

To reproduce, run: file --mime debian-archive-buster-stable.gpg

Using git bisect, this led to

commit ac7cdbd100713bacbd993e2c67242dbc4e9a501d (refs/bisect/bad)
Author: Christos Zoulas <christos at zoulas.com>
Date:   Thu Jul 1 07:51:35 2021 +0000

    PR/272: kiefermat: Only set returnval = 1 when we printed something (in all
    cases print or !print). This simplifies the logic and fixes the issue in the
    PR with -k and --mime-type there was no continuation printed before the
    default case.

but honestly I failed to understand how this is related. However, I
checked all commits between FILE5_40 and FILE5_41, this is indeed the
commit where the behaviour changed.

    Christoph