[File] DESCRIPT.ION of files for file manager

Jörg Jenderek (GMX) joerg.jen.der.ek at gmx.net
Sat Jun 24 09:59:34 UTC 2023

Hello,

some times ago i must take the file command sources from git hub server
instead from FTP server.

Unfortunately i am not Leonardo da Vinci or in other words my smartness
level is like a neandertaler. My normal steps are run configure script
and then followed by calling make utility. So it takes an quarter of
hour for me to find out how to create this script in such above
mentioned case.

To remember me i create a text file with name DESCRIPT.ION. This
contains line by line file, directory descriptions (and optional meta
data). This was introduced by 4DOS commando interpreter. See page about
4DOS on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DOS
Luckily this metadata format is also supported by many file managers like:
Volkow-Commander
Total-Commander
Double Commander

So i think this maybe is also useful for other people, especially new
users starting with compiling the file command sources. I hope my
appended DESCRIPT.ION can be applied in future version of file utility.

With best wishes
Jörg Jenderek
--
Jörg Jenderek