[File] A few questions regarding the actual semantic of "magic" rules

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 09:30:22 UTC 2024

Hi

Thank you for supporting this tool for so many years.

I have a few questions regarding the actual semantics of magic(5) rules.

Let me call "group" a set of tests starting at a 0 level test.

   1. My understanding is that each group is checked separately and that,
   once one of them "succeeds" then the result is printed out and that's it.
   I am saying this otherwise the "pdf" specification should print out two
   equal lines on a vanilla PDF file.  Is that correct?
   2. I understood that "name" and "use" rules can span magic(5)
   boundaries.  Is that correct?
   3. When I use a "use" clause, what is the state of the position in the
   file (buffer) after its invocation?  Whether it is successful or not?
   4. Can I "use" a "name" that then uses another "name" etc.  It does not
   appear to be the case on Mac OS right now.

I also believe I found a few problems with some of the magic(5) files; I
will post them soon.

That's it for now.

Thanks

Marco

PS  Yes, I am parsing the magic(5) files.  Don't ask!  It's a rabbit hole.

--
Marco Antoniotti
Somewhere over the Rainbow