[File] Feature request / patch offer: What about a `--files-from0` option?

Evan Driscoll edriscoll at codesecure.com
Fri Jun 7 20:52:43 UTC 2024

The `--0`​ option to `file` provides a nice way to get perfect parsing of results that include unfortunate file names.

However, there's not an analogue on the input side for providing filenames via a file, a la `--files-from`. Would it be possible to add an option, say `--files-from0`, that functions like `--files-from` except that the filenames are `\0` separated instead of newline-separated?

I've put my money where my mouth is a bit, and implemented this locally; with some light testing only, it seems to work. I *believe* I can offer this patch. Is it of interest? What are your contribution requirements in terms of copyright assignment and whatnot?

Thanks,
Evan Driscoll
The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments from CodeSecure, Inc may contain confidential and/or proprietary information, and is intended only for the named recipient to whom it was originally addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, distribution, or copying of this e-mail or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments.