[Tcsh] How to debug bug 74

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Wed Apr 10 12:22:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 08:03:03AM +0200, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 05:13:18PM -0700, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> > Hi, is there a test that fails right now? I don't see it. Or do you have a reproducer
> > for the bad cleanup?
>
> Yep ... the test created by tcsh-6.20.00/tests/aliases.at, does fail
> with changed output lines:
>
> expected is
>
>   >> echo foo
>   foo
>   >> echo foo | cat
>   foo
>
> but withteh change it is
>
>   foo
>   >> echo foo
>   foo
>   >> echo foo | cat
>
> meanwhile I've an other fix/workaround in the attachment to avoid
> that the parse tree for the `while´ builtin gets lost. The idea
> is that the postcmd alias will not be used for the expression done
> the while builtin but.  Beside this in the testsuite there is a
> small problem with sed syntax in tcsh-6.20.00.dif, all occurence
> of [:blank:] should become [[:blank:]] as otherwise the (GNU) sed
> will fail as first is not a POSIX.2 regex character class "[:"
> and ":]" within brackets ;)
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > christos
>
> Werner

On the other hand, maybe a change of the expected result would be fine
as with an unchanged tcsh it is seen

 tcsh> alias postcmd "echo postcmd"
 tcsh> echo cmd
 postcmd
 cmd
 tcsh>

which is indeed not `post' but more `pre' ... with

 tcsh> alias precmd "echo precmd"
 precmd
 tcsh> echo cmd
 cmd
 precmd

this is also more `post' but not `pre' at least for the I/O ;D
Let's try with time stamps

 tcsh> alias precmd "date +'pre %s:%N'"
 pre 1554898708:375412628
 tcsh> date +'cmd %s:%N'
 cmd 1554898711:981303814
 pre 1554898711:982864701

and this for post

 tcsh> alias postcmd "date +'post %s:%N'"
 tcsh> date +'cmd  %s:%N'
 post 1554898801:576673797
 cmd  1554898801:578305807

Werner