[Tcsh] "Readable" Unicode in setenv

Corinna Vinschen vinschen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 12:21:10 UTC 2021

On Dec  9 13:47, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've committed code that implements the dollar-single-quote feature.
> https://github.com/tcsh-org/tcsh/commit/bda86ab754b56d5a8983b554cb1dfffad2f3b43d
>
> What should we do about these differences:
>
> We do:
> - \uNNNNNN for unicode code points (six hex digits)
> - \xNN and \x{NNNN} for "ASCII" char in hex (how is NNNN ASCII?)

\x{NNNN} looks like an extension to suport DBCS.

> FreeBSD sh(1) documents these:
> - \uNNNN and \uNNNNNNNN for unicode code points (four and eight hex digits)

The second one uses \U, not \u.  Ideally tcsh uses the same 4 and 8 hex
digit expressions.  \uNNNN is sufficient for the base plane, \U is only
required for the higher values.  These would have to be converted into a
surrogate pair on systems with sizeof(wchar_t) == 2, e. g., native
Windows and Cygwin.

Thanks,
Corinna