[Tcsh] "Readable" Unicode in setenv

H.Merijn Brand tcsh at tux.freedom.nl
Fri Dec 10 15:45:42 UTC 2021

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:32:54 +0200, Kimmo Suominen <kim at netbsd.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 at 14:53, H.Merijn Brand <tcsh at tux.freedom.nl> wrote:
> > I never used $'\x{....} ever before, so now that we have it, I can make
> > it muscle-memory.
>
> The $'\x{....}' escape is something that only tcsh has now.

And perl :)

> I even wonder if we should keep it or not.

If my opinion counts, yes please, keep it.

> What bash and /bin/sh (on NetBSD and FreeBSD) have are all the other
> escapes. So $'\u....' would seem the most universal one to commit to
> muscle-memory.

And it probably will be. I was obviously not explicit enough: I never
used $'' anywhere before with whatever is there between the quotes

To *me* \x{NNNN} is the most intuitive notation, as I live in a perl
world, but \u is much clearer from a shell-user's viewpoint, and it is
something I can easily get used to

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux