[Tcsh] "Readable" Unicode in setenv

Jamie Landeg-Jones jamie at catflap.org
Mon Dec 13 23:57:13 UTC 2021

Dear Merijn,

Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie at catflap.org> wrote:

> As someone used to sh, but with little knowledge of perl, $'' is a nice
> clean method, with a well defined syntax. "\x{NNNN}" is a weird exception
> to an already defined method which breaks backward compatibility in a
> potentially unexpected way!
>
> Though of course, you could say the $'' method isn't backward compatible
> either, but at least it produces an error!

Sorry, on reading that back, it sounded like a criticism of your post.
That wasn't my intention - I was merely trying to point out that from my
point of view, the new syntax is better.

I have no complaint at all about any of the changes that were made that
you prefer (not that I'd have any right to complain if I did!)

Cheers, Jamie