[Tcsh] tcsh.man improvements style question

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Sat Dec 3 09:34:33 UTC 2022

Hi tcsh list,

I've made various improvements to tcsh.man over the last couple of
weeks, including finishing the mandoc / mdoc conversion, and improving
the overall markup when rendered as ASCII, UTF-8 or postscript/PDF.

Recently I made some more improvements including adding more subsection
headers to (hopefully) make it easier to find documentation:
	History event specification
	History word designators
	History word modifiers
	History abbreviation
	History editor commands
	Variable substitution metasequences
	Variable substitution without modifiers

These are in commit 06dab61 in pull request https://github.com/tcsh-org/tcsh/pull/62

As a followup to that, I was considering some more changes which I think
may make searching for certain items easier (IMHO), but may be
controversial so I wanted to solicit input from Christos, Kimmo, and the
tcsh community.

Currently, there are various lists of items, and I would like to explicitly
prefix the item with the selector, so it's easier to search.

E.g, prefix all the history word modifiers with ':' so you can search for ':h'
instead of the more generic 'h'.

History event specification

   existing:
           n      A number, referring to a particular event.
           -n     An offset, referring to the event n before the current
                  event.
           #      The current event.  This should be used carefully in csh(1),
                  where there is no check for recursion.  tcsh allows 10 lev‐
                  els of recursion. (+)

   proposal - prefix with !:
           !n     A number, referring to a particular event.
           !-n    An offset, referring to the event n before the current
                  event.
           !#     The current event.  This should be used carefully in csh(1),
                  where there is no check for recursion.  tcsh allows 10 lev‐
                  els of recursion. (+)

History word designators

   existing:
           0     The first (command) word.
           n     The nth argument.
           ^     The first argument, equivalent to ‘1’.

   proposal - prefix with :
           :0    The first (command) word.
           :n    The nth argument.
           :^    The first argument, equivalent to ‘1’.

History word modifiers

   existing:
           h       Remove a trailing pathname component, leaving the head.
           t       Remove all leading pathname components, leaving the tail.
           r       Remove a filename extension ‘.xxx’, leaving the root name.

   proposal - prefix with : (and probably sort)
           :h      Remove a trailing pathname component, leaving the head.
           :t      Remove all leading pathname components, leaving the tail.
           :r      Remove a filename extension ‘.xxx’, leaving the root name.

File inquiry operators

   existing:
           r    Read access.
           w    Write access.
           x    Execute access.

   proposal - prefix with - and probably sort:
           -r   Read access.
           -w   Write access.
           -x   Execute access.

thoughts?