[Tcsh] [UCE] tcsh-6.24.08 is now available

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Fri Apr 14 23:59:02 UTC 2023

Fair enough. Seems that I didn't test enough scenarios when
I committed 97efa0b on 2023-03-11 that partially reverted
commit e598809 of 2015-05-05.

I'll try and debug further why the original problem exists
that requires those two tests to be skipped.

Possibly related, but I've also noticed other weird edge cases about terminal
setup on startup that may or may not be related, that could be worth debugging.
E.g.;

	$ tcsh -f -c 'ls-F'
		outputs in 1 column
	$ tcsh -f -c 'telltc; ls-F'
		honors the terminal width

	$ tcsh -f -c 'setty'
		wraps output every word
	$ tcsh -f -c 'telltc; setty'
		honors the terminal width

On 23-04-14 14:44, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
  | I've reverted the commit that removed the skipping of the failing
  | tests when not running on a terminal.
  | https://github.com/tcsh-org/tcsh/commit/97efa0b000a007c9968cf58ef0100cf37164a37a
  |
  | I'm now able to build non-interactively.
  |
  | On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 at 17:02, Kimmo Suominen <kim at netbsd.org> wrote:
  | >
  | > A full output from a non-interactive build attempt (builds ok, 2 tests
  | > fail unexpectedly):
  | > https://www.netbsd.org/~kim/tcsh/output.amd64.txt
  | >
  | > On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 11:47, Luke Mewburn <luke at mewburn.net> wrote:
  | > >
  | > > [resent to the list from my subscribed email address]
  | > >
  | > > Hi Nelson,
  | > >
  | > > Without more context (e.g. the relevant lines from testsuite.log) it's
  | > > hard to know what's causing the problem for your build lab.
  | > >

  | > >   |     117: Comments FAILED (lexical.at:46)
  | > >
  | > > This is running
  | > >         tcsh -f -c 'echo #no comment'
  | > > (using autotest's quadrigraph '@%:@' to escape '#', as can be seen
  | > > if you examine tests/testsuite around line 9216).
  | > >

  | > >   |     181: $ edit   FAILED (variables.at:533)
  | > >
  | > > This is running
  | > >         TERM=something tcsh -f -c 'echo $?edit'
  | > > and expecting the $edit variable to be set.
  | > >

  | > > Is tests/testsuite being regenerated as part of your build process
  | > > because the Makefile considers the tests/testsuite to be out of date
  | > > with respect to its dependencies?
  | > > If so, what's the version of autom4te that you have installed?
  | > >

  | > > It _may_ be that the build needs tweaking to avoid the automatic
  | > > regeneration of tests/testsuite (and other autoconf / autoheader
  | > > generated files), and instead treat the build more like an automake
  | > > project with AM_MAINTAINER_MODE(), where the "developer" level
  | > > stuff isn't regenerated automatically. This depends upon the eventual
  | > > resolution of your issue, however.
  | > >

  | > > cheers,
  | > > Luke.
  | > >

  | > > On 23-04-10 15:00, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
  | > >   | Normally, most builds of tcsh-6.*.* are successful in my test lab of
  | > >   | 100+ Unix environments covering the major CPU families, and the major
  | > >   | O/S families.  They were for tcsh-6.24.07, but for tcsh-6.24.08, 98
  | > >   | out of 105 builds report the same two failures:
  | > >   |
  | > >   |     117: Comments FAILED (lexical.at:46)
  | > >   |     181: $ edit   FAILED (variables.at:533)
  | > >   |
  | > >   | The other 7 builds did not complete, for unrelated reasons.
  | > >   |
  | > >   | I'm therefore not installing this build on our systems, in the
  | > >   | expectation that there will be fixes for those failures.
  | > >   |