[File] application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database replace/remove

FC Stegerman flx at obfusk.net
Tue Jan 24 19:45:32 UTC 2023

* Michael Stahl <mst at libreoffice.org> [2023-01-24 11:48]:
> less obviously, i see this just a few lines above:

> !:mime	application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database
> !:ext	odb
>
> it checks for the string "database" in the file - which makes me wonder - is
> this based purely on the wrong mime type being registered at IANA, or is
> there actually some software that produces such files?  i have exactly 2387
> .odb files here, and all of them use "base", not "database".
>
> so probably this could be removed?

The comment just above that refers to [1], which says:

  "Magic numbers that apply to ODF document category subtypes
  incorporate the magic number for ZIP_PK, the string mimetype at
  position 30, and the MIME subtype string value at position 38."

And lists application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database as the mime
type.

I don't know whether any such files exist, but I would suggest not
removing it as long as this is how the LoC describes the format.

Perhaps the LoC page should be amended?

- FC

[1] https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000441.shtml