[File] application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database replace/remove

Michael Stahl mst at libreoffice.org
Tue Jan 24 20:14:00 UTC 2023

On 24.01.23 20:45, FC Stegerman wrote:
> * Michael Stahl <mst at libreoffice.org> [2023-01-24 11:48]:
>> less obviously, i see this just a few lines above:

>> !:mime	application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database
>> !:ext	odb
>>
>> it checks for the string "database" in the file - which makes me wonder - is
>> this based purely on the wrong mime type being registered at IANA, or is
>> there actually some software that produces such files?  i have exactly 2387
>> .odb files here, and all of them use "base", not "database".
>>
>> so probably this could be removed?
>
> The comment just above that refers to [1], which says:
>
>    "Magic numbers that apply to ODF document category subtypes
>    incorporate the magic number for ZIP_PK, the string mimetype at
>    position 30, and the MIME subtype string value at position 38."

that's all very well...

> And lists application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database as the mime
> type.

that's the mistake, i suspect they copied it from IANA.

if you follow the link to the specification that's cited by LoC
https://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/
you won't find ".database", only ".base".

> I don't know whether any such files exist, but I would suggest not
> removing it as long as this is how the LoC describes the format.

all i know is that OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice always wrote ".base", and
ODF Toolkit too - i haven't heard of any other implementation of this
format.

> Perhaps the LoC page should be amended?

that's a great idea - i have no idea how to do that though.