[Tcsh] tcsh.man improvements style question

Vlad Meșco vlad.mesco at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:48:36 UTC 2022

On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 09:40:52AM +0200, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 at 07:52, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie at catflap.org> wrote:
> > Also, the now ironically named file "NewThings" contains references
> > to the old man->html script.
>
> The NewThings file also has headings that refer to the version in
> which each "new" thing appeared. The top-most (and thus most recent)
> entry is for tcsh 6.08, which was released in October, 1998.
>
> My guess would be that since we attempt to record all notable changes
> in Fixes, the information in NewThings is just duplicating that. Maybe
> we should deprecate NewThings as well, although I'm not sure if all of
> its information can be found elsewhere. If anyone wants to fold it
> into Fixes, that might be a good approach. Or otherwise just check if
> there is information there that didn't make it to the manual page.

Hi,

I can confirm 99% of NewThings are in Fixes (or word-for-word in the man
page, e.g. in the `NEW FEATURES' section or with `(+)' notes).

The only missing items are:

    6.00.03
    [...]
    * vi insert mode to command mode transition does not move
      the cursor.

    [...]

    5.19 PL0
    * 8 bit clean code, by using 16 bit strings.
    * Mostly shared strings (a side-effect)
    * Highlights everywhere (and in ls-F) filenames that contain characters
      with the eighth bit set (or passes them unchanged depending on the
      variable 'nometa')
    * Newline in the prompt via %n.
    * dirs takes also a -v flag for `vertical display'
    * There is a new variable `listjobs' which controls if and how jobs
      are displayed when a new job is suspended. [Idea from the mtXinu
      code, very useful for novice users who hit control-Z 10 times on
      the same job!]
      set listjobs=long, jobs -l is executed every time a job is suspended.
      set listjobs=short, jobs is executed every time a job is suspended.
    * Passes lint... At least on a sun.

I couldn't find the vi cursor thing mentioned anywhere, and 5.19.00
predates the repo and the ftp tarballs.

I've opened https://github.com/tcsh-org/tcsh/pull/66 which merges the
5.19.00 section into Fixes and drops NewThings.

Cheers,
Vlad