[Tcsh] tcsh and Alpine Linux: progress, anyone?

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Mon Nov 28 09:33:15 UTC 2022

On 22-11-26 23:41, Vlad Meșco wrote:
  | Le 26 novembre 2022 21:21:01 GMT+02:00, Christos Zoulas <christos at zoulas.com> a écrit :
  | >Alpine uses must c which is "opinionated" about things like
  | >defining a CPP symbol to differentiate itself because it claims one
  | >should not be needed because it provides a standards compliant
  | >implementation and such checks should be unnecessary:
  | >https://wiki.musl-libc.org/faq.html
  | >At the same time it uses a malloc implementation that causes
  | >problems for programs which try to use a custom allocator (replace musl's
  | >allocator):
  | >https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/testing-alternative-c-memory-allocators-pt-2-musl-mystery-gomes/
  | >https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/issues/12913
  | >

  | My $0.02: Having to occasionally support cross platform builds
  | across a whole bunch of platforms at work, I wouldn't rely on GLIBC
  | not being defined meaning it's musl's/Alpine's  behaviour in 2022.
  | There's bionic, uclib, and probably someone out there is working on
  | a 15th standard C library, and there will be a distro using it. And
  | somewhere there will be an issue. It would be a neverending problem.
  |
  |  [...]
  |
  | You mention musl has issues with someone trying to replace the
  | allocator, surely that can be tested for? Now this is me being
  | ignorant to how autoconf works: is one able to add a custom check,
  | if such a check can be written? Then this could add a define to the
  | pile to force SYSMALLOC on in config_f.h (wishful thinking). I mean,
  | this is less of a preference and more of a necessity.

Hi Vlad,

If you can provide a minimal test program that we can run
to determine if the problem exists on Alpine / musl /... ,
versus not failing on more common platforms, I'm happy to work
with you to turn that into an autoconf check (since I have a
lot of experience with doing that).

regards,
Luke.