[Tcsh] Patch: Addition: "set noexitifjobs"

Jamie Landeg-Jones jamie at catflap.org
Sat Feb 25 16:54:48 UTC 2023

Kimmo Suominen <kim at netbsd.org> wrote:

> Hi Jamie,
>
> I think it would be nice to make this be an extension of ignoreeof.
> Maybe setting ignoreeof to -1 could have this behaviour? Or maybe
> better yet to extend ignoreeof to parse for multiple values, similar
> to savehist?

Hi. Yeah, that is a good idea. Though I'd presume 2 multiple variables,
as the 2 situations, whilst related, are different.

> Presumably you know that you could set ignoreeof=3 to get a warning
> about background jobs and to have to press a few extra ^D before the
> shell exits.

Thanks, yeah, I knew about that, but to me, the use cases are different.
I want ctrl-d to exit straight away when there are no background jobs,
and never if there are background jobs.

Besides, if I set it to 3 (for example), I'd get used to hitting
ctrl-d 3 times by default (one partidular machine I connect to a lot
is on a slow link... Delays are common)

Does this make sense?

I can understand not wanting to clutter up the variable list, so
would a multiple-valued ingoreeof therefore be the best way forward?

Cheers, Jamie

P.S. If you don't think this would be useful to add, that's fine. I
     don't want to be responsible for adding useless clutter - I can
     always just stick with my own local patch set.