[Tcsh] [UCE] tcsh-6.24.08 is now available

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Mon May 15 12:41:31 UTC 2023

On 23-04-15 11:54, Kimmo Suominen wrote:
  | On Sat, 15 Apr 2023 at 11:47, Kimmo Suominen <kim at netbsd.org> wrote:
  | > ------------------------
  | > > setsid -w sh -c 'tcsh -f -c "echo #no comment"'
  | > #no comment
  | > > setsid -w sh -c 'tcsh -f -c "echo #no comment"' < /dev/null
  | >
  | > ------------------------
  | >
  | > I understand the "$edit" case, but I don't understand the "#no comment" case.
  |
  | But I guess it has to do with ed_Init() somehow as well, because
  | making the shell interactive with the "-i" flag makes a difference:
  |
  | ------------------------
  | : beowulf:~; setsid -w sh -c 'tcsh -f -i -c "echo #no comment"' < /dev/null
  | #no comment
  | ------------------------

I've investigated this further.

The difference in behaviour is to be expected, and turns out is actually documented:
     When the shell's input is not a terminal, the character ‘#’ is taken to
     begin a comment.  Each ‘#’ and the rest of the input line on which it ap‐
     pears is discarded before further parsing.

The mechanism in the testsuite to detect if stdin is a tty or not doesn't
quite work and always causes the test group to be skipped:
	AT_CHECK([if [ ! -t 0 ]; then exit 77; fi],, [Skipping comment tests])
probably due to m4 parsing/quoting of  if [.

I'll replaced this with something like:
	AS_IF([test -t 0], [
		# tests when stdin is a tty and not reading from file
	], [
		# tests when stdin is not a tty or reading from file
	])

I've fixed this up in pull request:
	https://github.com/tcsh-org/tcsh/pull/75

Then it works if I do:
	make check TESTSUITEFLAGS='-k Comments -k edit'
or
	make check TESTSUITEFLAGS='-k Comments -k edit' </dev/null

regards,
Luke.